Want to Prevent Summer Slide?
Posted in Summer Camps
Some of the facts:
- Students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of the summer.
- Most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in math computation skills over the summer.
- Many children—particularly children at high risk of obesity—gain weight twice as fast in the summer as during the school year.
- Parents consistently cite summer as the most difficult time to ensure that their children have productive things to do.
- More than half of the achievement gap between lower- and higher-income youth can be explained by unequal access to summer learning opportunities.
Note, programs are location-specific so please see your local Y for specific program offerings in your area.
Did you know?More and more children in the United States are obese — and overweight children tend to become overweight or obese adults, leading to a host of health problems. Many people blame schools, but research shows the opposite.
In fact, children gain weight two times faster during the summer months, gaining as much weight during the summer as they do during the entire school year, even though the summertime is three times shorter.
New Academic Enrichment CampsYMCA Academic Enrichment Camps bring together academic skill building with the fun and adventure of camp! Each camp is designed to reduce summer learning loss, review academic skills and accelerate learning. Camps are led by certificated teachers and Y camp staff.
The Exploration AcademyThe Exploration Academy lets campers of all skill levels learn and experience new ideas in science, STEM, literacy and more. The Academy series brings learning to life with a combination of classroom, hands-on and project-based activities.
» Learn more about The Exploration Academy at Bellevue Family YMCA, Coal Creek Family YMCA, Sammamish Family YMCA, Snoqualmie Valley YMCA
Navigator CampsNavigator Camps are perfect for youth who are at or below their grade level in reading or math. Each morning campers work with a teacher to build their skills in a small classroom environment. Afternoons feature the exploration of new ideas and activities in enrichment and other traditional camp programming.
» Learn more about Navigator Camps at Northshore YMCA
High School Programs
Summer Language JourneySummer Language Journey focuses on English reading, writing, science, art and music for ELL (English Language Learner) students. Each morning campers work with a teacher to build their skills in a small classroom environment. Afternoons feature the exploration of new ideas and activities in enrichment and other traditional camp programming.
» Learn more about Summer Language Journey at Matt Griffin YMCA
Level 9Level 9 provides academic support and enrichment for students entering high school. The program brings learning to life with a combination of classroom, hands-on and project-based activities.
» Learn more about Level 9 at Matt Griffin YMCA